At Nomadic Thoughts we passionately believe that the practice of Sustainable Tourism (ST) is essential and that tourism should be planned and managed to enhance the destination’s natural and cultural environment – whilst benefiting both the tourist and local community involved.
We are very aware of the ‘bridging’ role we provide between our clients and the destinations they are visiting.
With over a billion people taking an overseas trip every year, tourism is now the world’s biggest industry. Although this brings benefits to many countries, it also places great strains on the world’s environment and natural habitat. Please see ‘Our Practice’ below.
- We always try to plan and arrange our holiday itineraries with the maximum respect to the environment and local communities.
- We actively encourage the practice of Sustainable Tourism through our services, literature and communication with both clients and suppliers.
- We endeavour to monitor all local issues and advocate low-impact sustainable tourism wherever possible. The majority of the properties we recommend are of high international standing, privately owned and staffed by local people.
- We wholeheartedly agree to operate within the Association of Independent Tour Operators (AITO) ‘ST Guidelines’. In addition, Jono Vernon-Powell (Nomadic Thoughts Founder/ MD), Chairs AITO’s Climate Crisis Think Tank (ACT).
Nomadic Thoughts therefore recognise that in carrying out our work as tour operators we have a social and environmental responsibility to respect other people’s places and ways of life and therefore recognise the following common responsibilities to:
- protect the environment – flora, fauna and landscape,
- respect local cultures – traditions, religions and built heritage,
- benefit local communities – economically and socially,
- conserve natural resources – from office to destination,
- minimise pollution – noise, waste and congestion.
We aim to fulfil these responsibilities by:
- establishing our own policies and involving our staff,
- informing our clients about Sustainable Tourism and, where appropriate
- encouraging them to participate,
- recognising that we need to work with others to achieve SustainableTourism,
- publicising good practice to encourage and spread responsible tourism.
Planning the holiday of a lifetime, a honeymoon or sabbatical?
Speak to a Nomadic Thoughts travel expert, call us on +44 (0)20 7604 4408