Top tip: Don’t look at the bat cave floors
Malaysia is split into two geographic regions; the Malay Peninsular and neighbouring islands (well over 100) that run south from the Thai border make up 40% of the country, while 400 miles to the east, the states of Sabah and Sarawak on the northern half of Borneo make up the other 60% of Malaysia.
A forested mountain range runs from north to south on the Malay peninsular, with mangrove swamps and mud flats on the west coast and sandy beaches and jungle on the east coast. Sarawak and Sabah have similar geography and vegetation to that of the peninsular.
Although the climate is tropical, temperatures don’t tend to rise above 35 degrees C, and nights are fairly cool. On the peninsular, the west coast receives most rain between September and November, while the main rainy season on the east coast is between October and January. Rains fall in Sabah and Sarawak at more or less the same time as on the east coast.
Facts and Figures
|Area||329,847 sq km (127,355 sq miles).|
|Population||27,565,821 (2010 estimate).|
|Capital||Kuala Lumpur- population 1,627,172 (2010)|
|Language||Bahasa Malaysia is the national and official language, but English is widely spoken. Other languages such as Chinese (Cantonese and Hokkien), Iban and Tamil, are spoken by minorities.|
|Religion||Roman Catholic 84 per cent; the rest are made up mostly of Muslims, other Christian denominations, Buddhist and Taoists.|
|Time||GMT + 8|
Interested in Malaysia? Call +44 (0)20 7604 4408 for expert holiday advice